Citric acid is a type of alpha-hydroxy acid that's extracted from citrus fruits such as lemons, limes, oranges, and grapefruits, as well as other fruits such as berries.
Because it is an AHA, citric acid offers the same types of exfoliating properties as any AHA would.
Citric Acid works as a chemical exfoliant on the epidermis or the outermost layer of your skin to remove dead skin cells, declog your pores, and even out your skin tone.
- Acts as a chemical exfoliant
- Contains protective antioxidants
- Helps maintain the skin's pH levels
While citric acid is considered gentler and more mild than others, it is still an acid, which means there's always some potential for irritation. This holds especially true for those with sensitive skin or an inflammatory skin condition, such as rosacea, notes Petrillo. Citric acid will also make your skin more susceptible to the sun, so it's imperative to be extra on top of your daily SPF game whenever you're using it.
Bloom & Co. products containing this ingredient:
- Gentle Foaming Face Cleanser
- Superfood 2 in 1 Exfoliator & Mask
- Super Hydrating Moisturiser
- Brightening Vitamin C Serum
- Plump & Glow Vitamin C mask
- Gentle Face Cleansing Wipes